The highlights of the scheme are
- The objective of the Scheme is to cover all Government and government aided secondary and higher secondary schools by giving priority for early coverage of schools in educationally backward blocks and in areas having concentration of SC/ST/minority/weaker section
- Under the revised scheme, there is a provision of a suitably qualified full time computer teacher in each secondary and higher secondary school. In case of higher secondary school having computer related subjects as elective, there would be need for a post graduate in computers teacher.
- There are provisions for in-service (induction and refresher) training for all teachers in secondary and higher secondary schools to enable them to impart ICT enabled teaching.
- Convergence with the existing programme would be essential especially in teacher training and ensuring reliable power supply and internet connectivity.
- The sharing pattern will be 75.25 between the Centre and the State except for the north eastern States including Sikkim where the ration would on 90.10
- The scheme currently covers both Government and Government aided Secondary and Higher Secondary Schools. Financial assistance is provided for procurement of computers and peripherals, educational software, training of teachers, development of e-contents, Internet connectivity & set up of smart schools.